Early photographs from 1908 indicate that the long stretch of sandy beach at Greenwich Point was a makeshift port used by small boats. The beach also played an essential role for local residents’ transportation. After 1923 the area was then leased to three families whose homes fronted the harbour and a private swimming pool was built on the property.
Despite the area being leased out the council still preserved the right to control and regulate the Baths. To this day the lessee stays in a caretaker’s room on site in order to open the baths between dawn and dusk. The Baths would be open to the public from the 1st of October to the 31st of March and now opening hours have been extended into September. The caretakers house has evolved over the years from a tent in the 1920’s, to a fibro cottage in the late 20’s and finally a house in 1967.
Greenwich Baths hosted one of the most competitive and largest amateur swim clubs from 1929 to the mid 1930’s, and were re-formed in 1963. The site was the training ground for swimming champions Jack McMahon and Ted Lever; Jack remains a loyal patron of the Baths.
In 1986 a new design for a shark proof enclosure was commissioned. After three years of deliberation, in March 1989 a design was approved and Council contributed $140,000 for the rebuilding program which was aided by $50,000 state grants. Nylon shark netting and an artificial beach was added while the walkway was not replaced as it was becoming a hazard for divers. The pool was eventually reopened in 1990.
Today the site is a popular attraction for residents and visitors alike. It is is currently run by sporting and leisure facility
management company BlueFit.